NextStep Renewable Energy is managed and owned by a group of board members who bring a variety of management and business skills to the company that are specific to the industry; a short bio for each follows:
Tyler Cran, Chairman
Mr. Cran has over 40 years experience in business with an emphasis on the energy, resources and real estate sectors. Tyler began his career in the early 1970's as a landman working for Husky Oil and Murphy Oil in Calgary Alberta Canada. In the late 1970's he formed his own oil company, Cardinal Energy, which was sold in 1985.
At that time Mr. Cran began a long period of entrepreneurship when he purchased and ran Canada's largest book bindery and printed product finishing company. The company was eventually sold after spinning out the Alberta division and he continues to be a major shareholder of the resulting company. During the ensuing years Mr. Cran purchased, as principle, several office and warehouse buildings, hotels and shopping malls across Western Canada. Mr. Cran is a founder of Andora Energy Corporation, a founder of Sentinel Rock Oil Corporation, now Sundance Energy Corporation, a founder of Border Petroleum, was instrumental in the formation of Encanto Potash Corporation, and is a founder of Black Mountain Energy Corporation (now Gear Energy).
Bryce Bonneville, President and VP Legal
Bryce Bonneville started his career as a securities, corporate finance and M & A lawyer in Calgary, Alberta. With over 20 years experience, he now works predominantly in a business role with start up ventures. Mr. Bonneville is a founder of Andora Energy Corporation, a founder of Border Petroleum, a founder of Black Mountain Energy Corporation (now Gear Energy), a founder of a private biotech Royalty Partnership and a found of Sentinel Rock Oilsands Corporation (now Vital Energy Inc.).
Kirk Wiggins, VP Engineering
Kirk Wiggins is a 25 year veteran in the oils and fats, food, chemical, textile and alternative fuel industry with an engineering background and experience in the engineering, procurement and construction as well as operations and management of alternative energy facilities.
- Kirk is a Mechanical Engineer and MBA with worldwide experience in the renewable fuels, power utility, chemical, food, agricultural, and textile industries.
- Prior to joining NSE, Kirk was Director of Sales for Greenline Industries, a leader in the design, manufacture, installation, and commissioning of next generation biodiesel processing technology and equipment.
- Initiated key business partnerships with Kumar Metal Industries, Lummus Corporation, French Oil Mill Machinery Company, and Dupps Company, while creating an International sales network for serving foreign markets in more than 32 countries.
- Prior to working for Greenline industries, Kirk was the International Sales Manager for Continental Eagle Corporation a 176 year old internationally recognized leader in the design, manufacture, and marketing of vegetable oil, chemical, textile and renewable fuel plants
- Prior to working for Continental Eagle Corporation, Kirk spent 16 years in various positions in engineering, service and sales management for Carver, Inc., a 174 year old company, (later merging with Lummus Corporation, sister company to Desmet Ballestra) a leaders in the oils and fats, textile, oleo chemical, and renewable fuel industries.
- Mr. Wiggins has over 25 years of engineering and process systems experience in the chemical processing industry.
Guy Ng, VP Project Finance
A project finance specialist with 9 plus years of infrastructure financing experience. Specifically, structured and closed over $2.5 billion dollar in infrastructure financings for various Canadian infrastructure (power and social infrastructure) and led/participated on more than 50 power/social infrastructure projects.
Tim Uniacke, VP Business Development
Tim Uniacke is an executive with over forty years of international business experience; twenty-five years in the manufacturing, wholesale, and retail sectors and fifteen years in investment banking services. He has demonstrated expertise in interim, turnaround, and consolidation business finance and management in both the public and private sectors. He has significant experience in M&A (oil & gas), Equity and Debt capital placement, Private equity, project finance, venture capital, IPO's and reverse takeovers and has been engaged in the following business sectors: oil & gas, manufacturing, retail, real estate, resort development, film, television, transportation, biotechnology and telecommunications.
Frank Bernard, CFO
Frank Bernard has over 30 years of executive experience including ten years in public accounting in the finance, insurance, banking, and environmental sectors and twenty years of management consulting, corporate finance, investment banking, and mergers & acquisitions. Frank was also CFO of Cornerstone International, Inc.; one of the world's largest international management consulting organizations. His credentials include:
- 10 years in public accounting, audit, and corporate finance with Fortune 50 firms including Waste Management, Textron, and Transamerica,
- Early experience in Waste Management Inc's Wheelabrator division Waste-to-Energy program. Ensured key operating requirements and reporting mechanisms for renewable energy projects including standard financial and operating procedures for waste to energy projects, and their related reporting mechanisms. These programs now convert over 145 million tons of garbage into 75 billion KW hours of electricity annually,
- 15 years executive management consulting experience in retained executive search, organizational development, and human resource consulting with an emphasis in finance, accounting, taxation, and audit, with Morgan International, and Cornerstone International Group.
- Merger and acquisition experience with a primary focus on business valuation and related due diligence for financial services firms including AVCO Financial Services and Transamerica Commercial Finance.
Phil Keele - Director
Mr. Keele holds a B.Sc. in Mining Engineering from Queen's University and is a registered professional engineer in the Province of Alberta. He has more than 30 years experience in all facets of the mining industry particularly in engineering, operations and senior management. Mr. Keele retired from Canadian Natural Resources Limited (CNRL) in 2016 where he held the position of VP, Mining. Prior to joining CNRL, Mr. Keele held senior positions with a major Canadian mining company in western Canada.
Dennis Nerland - Director
Partner at prominent tax / business law firm for last 14 years. Current and past director of a number of private investment companies, a number of private operating companies and a number of public companies listed. B. of Laws, M. Arts (Economics) and B. of Science (Econ. and Mathematics). Member of the Law Society of Alberta, the Canadian Tax Foundation, the Calgary Bar Association, the Canadian Bar Association, and the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners, achieving the TEP designation. Directors Education Program (Institute of Corporate Directors and Rotman School of Management) and has earned his ICD.D designation. Completed the Rotman Financial Literacy Program for Directors and Executives and received the designation of Queen’s Counsel (“Q.C.”) in Alberta in 2014.